Friday 20 September 2013

Seeing is.. experiencing?

Hey guys

So today was a bit of a disaster on the technology front, with my internet deciding to PMS out on me every so often. I was initially unsure about which sense to blog about today but I guess that it's going to be sight.

We live in a sight orientated world. The internet is that thing you look at for hours.
Like right now, you lovely people that read this are probably reading this whilst surfing waves of binary, looking for something vaguely interesting to look at/ read/ use as procrastination.
(If waves of binary is inaccurate, I apologise for my lack of technological lingo. And I quote: 'I'm a writer. I give the truth scope!' Well, descriptive flare, shall we say.)

Anyway, point is, whenever I keep losing my access to BBC iplayer (which, as I am sans TV right now, I am addicted to) it gets me thinking about how much I use sight. I mean, I'm an English student. I used my eyes so much last year my prescription actually got worse. I love reading and want a career that is involved in the written word. It would be so much more difficult if one day, I found that I couldn't see. What would I do?
Out of all the senses people live without, the lack of sight is most conspicuous, especially now, as technology becomes more and more influenced by things like the touch screen for example. There's nothing to feel there for someone who can't see, so how do they know that they've typed the right thing? The way people with sight problems navigate in a visually-operated world amazes me.
Sight, the lack of it, the way blind people are treated and our dependence on visual matter are also the most contentious of issues surrounding how we experience the world. With the creation of Skype, Facetime and Snapchat, the power of the image has never been more relevant. Snapchat in particular highlights modern culture's need not only to capture a moment and communicate with it but also its reliance on everyone being keyed into the same visual mindset. The thing is, what about the other ways we experience the world?

Whilst we overwhelm our heads with visual experience and  forget about using our other senses quite as much? Will we just take it for granted that we'll always be able to function in the world when (according to website Fight for Sight http://fightforsight.org.uk/statistics-about-blindness-and-eye-disease ) about 285 million people have sight problems and most of those problems do not exist from birth? Will we rely on images to tell us what life is like 'out there' and stay in with the TV, the computer, magazines etc because if you've seen it, you've experienced what it is like?
I hope not. I'd trade you hearing my favourite person's voice, or eating my favourite dinner anytime over yet another picture someone took of themselves in a fabulous place.
Go out. See the world. But smell, taste, touch and hear it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment