Thursday 29 August 2013

'Home' alone: the charms of limbo land, aka Summer...

Hello fair friends,
Much apologies for missing last week, but every now and then a girl just needs a little time to get her (well earned) rest. So, after a lovely holiday joining my parents in North Wales, I'm back to the life of limbo land, staying at Lancaster for work in the week and travelling/ spending free time doing things and talking to my friends.
It's odd to be in a town you know so well but not seeing anyone around. Clear of the forest of students usually populating this small place, people you never noticed before seem to suddenly appear in town.

I walk to work every day and on my way I see the commuters at the bus stop further out of town, waiting until they settle themselves into that train seat before their transformation into professional selves (or indeed just the process of damage control) is complete. I see the parents and the children, now tiring of the long school break, waiting for school to start. The builders and decorators, white vans at the ready, fitting out houses ready for the returning student hoarde this October....
Right now it all feels slightly... charmed, unreal.

Summer is that time of limbo land for most people in education, that place of elastic time that seems to stretch and never end only to hit you straight in the face as you realise you've forgotten how to... well... learn anything really. However, in this one-horse city (yes people, it's actually a city) that sort of is and isn't my home, it's an even weirder time for me, working here but not being in Uni, living here but not with any students. I think this summer's an education of it's own kind. So, like the things you have to learn in Uni courses, I'll only know what exactly I've learnt and why after I've finished it. 

Being on my tod makes me all philosophical... toodlepip ladies and gents xx

No comments:

Post a Comment